Monday, August 30, 2010

The Forgetting -- Early Character Sketches

So while I have a few minutes--waiting to head out to see the doctor about lab results to find out how bad my bad cholesterol truly is--I thought I'd take the opportunity to put up a few additional character sketches for my new story "The Forgetting," for anyone who cared enough to take a look over here.

I've had this story in my head for the last 12 years and when I decided last spring that it was finally time to begin putting it to paper, I knew I'd need to find the right artist to help me put the look together so I wasn't stumbling quite so blindly through it. I'm thinking and hoping now that Jonathan A. Rector is the guy. So far he's proven to be professional, systematic, and possessing quite the repertoire of artistic skills. Early designs for three of the six characters appearing in the intro to The Forgetting are below--they're Jonathan's take on the script and character descriptions I've given him. After this it'll just be a matter ironing out a few minor details and deciding on the final designs.

THE FORGETTER--He is one of five immortals dating back to the dawn of modern man, and the protagonist of our story. The immortals have all dealt with their existence in different ways and developed an array of abilities as their minds and bodies evolved through the ages. The Forgetter's way of dealing? Well, I'm only giving you one guess.



LUXA--She's often been the Forgetter's companion through the ages, but recently (10,000 years ago) the two had a falling out and things aren't quite what they used to be. Luxa's appearance and outward behavior seem the most human of the five immortals, but as the story unfolds we'll discover that all things have their reason, and appearances are only that.



SEVER--Not much hiding in the name here. This guy learned a thing or two of his abilities long before the others and they've definitely taken him down a different path. Though once human (or looking to be), Sever now only roughly resembles that. His searching has taken him down roads no one else has ever thought to look, and left him bearing the marks. Early in the story Sever appears to be our bad guy, but as things progress...I guess you'll have to wait and see.






No comments:

Post a Comment